Monday, 16 February 2015

MY FATHER'S SON: AN IDLE RACE DISCOVERY

Early editions of this 1985 compilation LP contained a typographical error ...
Hello ... Hello ... my old friends ... It's great to see you once again! After many years, I finally got around to visiting a record fair over at The Robin 2 in Bilston yesterday [Sunday 15th February]. It was perhaps a sign of the growing resurgence of vinyl that the event was packed with folks like me looking for the missing pieces in their respective collections. Yours Truly KJS was pleased to pick up a mint Canadian copy of ELO's "A New World Record" [#UA-LA679-G] and, quite unexpectedly, something else. A copy of "Light At The End Of The Road" - the 1985 compilation LP released on See For Miles Records [#SEE60] that covered a fair portion of the recording career of The Idle Race - and in fantastic condition too!

I posted a couple of pictures of my vinyl captures in the elobeatlesforever Facebook page whereupon Fiona Pritchard - the wife of Dave Pritchard - informed me that although the initial pressing of the LP cited Jeff Lynne as the writer for "My Father's Son", it was in fact a Dave Pritchard composition. Fiona advised me that See For Miles refused to recall the first pressings but corrected the error thereafter with later pressings. An expanded CD entitled "The Best Of The Idle Race featuring Jeff Lynne" was released somewhat later in 1990 [#SEECD60] which also correctly quoted Dave Pritchard as the author of the aforementioned track.
Dave Pritchard was later correctly cited as the composer of "My Father's Son" [Photo: Sir Jeff Cooper]
 It just goes to show that being a collector of ELO and related artistes records is still as surprising and rewarding as ever. The next Robin Record & CD Fair is on Sunday 17th May.

Until next "Time" in the ELO [and related] Universe ... KJS ... 16-Feb-2015

1 comment:

  1. I remember discovering the Light At the End of the Road record in HMV in London in 1985. It was simply not available in Ireland. I bought it and lugged it around with me on a one month Interrail trip before I could get to play it. Miraculously, it survived the trip and got played to death.

    ReplyDelete