Wednesday, 7 October 2009

ELDORADO vs. ZOOM

 Hello ... Hello ... my old friends ... It's great to see you once again! Only six days now to the big gig at The Robin 2 in Bilston on Tuesday 13th October when The Orchestra [former members of ELO & ELO Part II] return to their Midlands musical roots!

Today I took a rare day off work and whilst meandering about in downtown Wolverhampton, Yours Truly KJS suddenly heard the familiar [but rarely played] tones of the ELO album track "Poorboy [The Greenwood]" blasting out over the tannoy. Ten minutes later it was "Mr. Blue Sky". Nice to know somebody out there has taste!

It reminded me of something that I meant to write last week. I listened to both the "Eldorado" and "Zoom" ELO albums in the car whilst driving to and from work and I've come to the conclusion that there really is no comparison between these two records.

One is a classic concept album from 1974 brilliantly conceived by Jeff Lynne and performed by one of the two classic ELO line-ups and the other, although still a good offering, is essentially a Jeff Lynne solo album from 2001 or, as I've described it to friends on not a few occasions, is it "Armchair Theatre Part II"? I do hope that I haven't started another controversy with that statement ...

Until next "Time" in the ELO [and related] Universe ... KJS ... 07-Oct-2009

1 comment:

  1. Without Lynn...no E.L.O. So they are all both E.L.O. albums and Jeff Lynn albums.

    ReplyDelete