Sunday, 17 May 2009

BEATLES, BOLAN & HELEN SHAPIRO

Hello ... Hello ... my old friends ... It's great to see you once again! Yours Truly KJS travelled over to Great Barr in Birmingham last night [Saturday 16th May] to a Gospel Outreach event featuring a certain Helen Shapiro. She delivered a succinct and all-encompassing message together with a brief overview of her life, career and in particular, her conversion and faith. It was nice to snatch a few moments with her alongside my daughter Rebekah at the end of the night.

Yours Truly KJS was thinking earlier today about meeting Helen and the events that have transpired with respect to the death of Kelly Groucutt this year, and how my interest in ELO and my Christian faith seem to be intertwined at many levels. Only yesterday, I was listening to the re-mastered version of ELO's 1973 album "On The Third Day" [that's a subject in and of itself] while doing my stuff around the house and was reminded that one Marc Bolan played on three of the tracks.

I also read a brief biography of Helen this morning and I was reminded that as a young Jewess, she knew and played with a young Jewish lad called Marc Bolan and that The Beatles - whose song "I Am The Walrus" was the original inspiration of Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne for the creation of The Electric Light Orchestra [ELO] - were the support act for her first tour. It was another musical connection rediscovered between my fave artistes ... and no coincidence either.

Life is certainly never boring here at ELO Beatles Forever [ELOBF] ...
Until next "Time" in the ELO [and related] Universe ... KJS ... 17-May-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment